Strategic Partnerships (Investment Team)
Why work at OpenView?
OpenView is a leading venture capital firm with a focus on expansion stage software companies. While you may not know us, I bet you know our portfolio, Calendly, Expensify, and Datadog just to name a few. Our mission to improve people’s working lives permeates everything we do – from our investment strategy and how we work with our portfolio to firm operations and how we support our employees. At OpenView, you will be surrounded by intelligent, innovative, creative people who strive to make a difference.
What We’re Looking for
We’re looking for a Swiss Army Knife who can serve as an extension of our investment team. You’ll wear several hats, but principally, will build relationships with early-stage investors to help us identify and win the best product led growth (PLG) deals.
We’ve committed to developing an ecosystem that surrounds our portfolio – strategic partners, advisors, candidates and board members, and now we’re ready to expand. As we think about the next evolution of our ecosystem, it’s about supporting our investment team and developing our pipeline. If we can build long term partnerships with the right influencers, we will see and win more great deals.
Our ideal state? We hear about, connect with and add value to the best product led businesses long before they’re even thinking of raising capital. You’ll drive the strategy and execution to get us there by:
- Figuring out who the right partners are: Where should we spend our time? Should we invest in building relationships with seed investors? Build a network of angel investors? Figure out who the influential connectors and advisors are in key geographies? There is not one right answer and we’re confident our approach will need to evolve over time.
- Determining how we add value to them: How do we incentivize our partners to refer deals to us? What value do we bring to them or the companies they introduce us to? What’s in it for them? We only do a handful of deals each year so we need to get creative in how we give back to the PLG community.
- Driving consistent coverage of PLG companies: Partner with our investment team to identify these companies early, get us in the door for a conversation and develop a long term valuable relationship.
The Ideal Candidate
We’re a small team with big ideas and aspirations. We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of a team and is excited to dig in and help–wherever needed:
- You’re a self-starter that thrives in an unstructured environment
- You love meeting new people, can find common ground quickly and build lasting relationships
- You find energy in being a connector and bringing people together
- You always find a way to win, even when there isn’t a playbook to follow.
- You are the ultimate team player and want to remove roadblocks for others
- You’re ready to get on the road (~30% travel) – this job requires face-to-face time
- 5+ years of work experience
- Knowledge of the venture & software startup ecosystem is a plus
If you want to join us, email Liz Cain directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Strategic Partnerships.” Please include your LinkedIn profile and share the last connection you made that resulted in a mutually beneficial outcome – we want to hear your story! We value clear, concise and human communication.