eEye Blink Application Protects Against Phishing Schemes
ALISO VIEJO, CA – eEye Digital Security®, a leading developer of IT security, host-based intrusion prevention and PC security tools, today announced that its Blink® antivirus software product protects end users and networks from malware threats associated with phishing schemes and email spoofing.
A survey conducted in the 2nd half of 2007 by research firm Gartner revealed that phishing attacks escalated dramatically during the year. The research highlighted that such attacks often morph into attacks that deliver malware to consumer and enterprise desktops. According to Gartner, more than $3 billion was lost to phishing in 2007.
The Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) defines so-called ‘phishing’ as “a form of online identity theft that employs both social engineering and technical subterfuge to steal consumers’ personal identity data and financial account credentials.” The number of unique phishing reports received by APWG in September 2007 was 38,514. Targeted brands hijacked – usually popular ones such as Chase, eBay and PayPal – numbered 92 in the same period. And the country hosting the most phishing websites is the United States. More information, including how to report a suspected scam, can be found at www.antiphishing.org.
“Finding who you can trust is getting more difficult for everyone online today,” said Kamal Arafeh, eEye Digital Security CEO. “The best defense against phishing is to install a highly reviewed comprehensive solution like Blink, which will block attempts to capture personal data. Users will gain peace of mind in knowing that Blink will protect them from bogus HTML pages.”
eEye’s Blink product additionally provides virus and spyware protection, intrusion prevention and firewalls that protect desktops from zero-day attacks, ID theft, keylogging, worms, viruses and variants of malware such as hijacking by botnets.
Blink offers multiple protection layers built into a single lightweight agent, proactively protecting systems and confidential information with:
– Vulnerability Assessment — Defines, identifies and classifies the security risks or vulnerabilities in a computer’s operating system and applications.
– Intrusion Prevention — Analyzes the content of network traffic to block malicious data and allow legitimate traffic to be processed. This includes both intrusions, such as attacks from outside the organization, and misuse, such as attacks from within the organization.
– System and Application Firewalls — Controls the network activity of systems and installed applications.
– Virus, Spyware, Phishing, and Botnet Protection — Performs in-memory protection and disk scanning for computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, botnets, and blended threats by checking each process and application before being loaded.
– System Protection — Provides proactive, host-based security against day zero attacks and offers protection against buffer overflow and memory-based attacks.
– Identity Theft Protection — Identifies and responds to attempts to deceive a user with misleading HTML and XML in web pages and email.
– Network-Aware Policies — Dynamically manage policies and configuration settings based on physical network location.
About eEye Digital Security
eEye Digital Security® is pioneering a new class of security products: integrated threat management. This next-generation of security detects vulnerabilities and threats, prevents intrusions, protects all of an enterprise’s key computing resources, from endpoints to network assets to web sites and web applications, all while providing a centralized point of security management and network visibility. eEye’s research team is consistently the first to identify new threats in the wild, and our products leverage that research to deliver on the goal of making network security as easy to use and reliable as networking itself. Founded in 1998 and headquartered in Orange County, California, eEye Digital Security protects more than 9,000 corporate and government organizations worldwide, including half of the Fortune 100. For more information, please visit www.eeye.com.