5 Keys to Marketing at the Intersection of Mobile, Search, and Social
June 9, 2015
If you are looking for ways to optimize your business’ online presence then it’s time to think beyond the search bar. According to Google, in the United States, 56% of the population owns a smartphone. And 65% of them access the Internet every day via that device.
Of the groups that go online via their phone, primary tasks include:
- Communication: reading email or going on social networks — social, by the way, represents a whopping 83% of that online communication activity
- Staying informed: reading reviews and blogs, etc.
- Entertainment: internet browsing, playing games, listening to music, and watching video
Additionally, 94% of searches on smartphones are for local information. 84% take action as a result — making a purchase or contacting a business.
So what does that mean for your business?
1) Mobile is a Must
If you are looking to acquire new customers you no longer have the choice not to be mobile accessible. It’s where your customers are.
2) Understand Your Customer’s Journey
You need to have a defined buyer’s journey which includes mobile as a marketing channel. Get to know all about how your customers learn about your products, where they read reviews, and how they are influenced during their purchase decision. Define every nook and cranny of that persona!
3) Make it Easy for Your Customers
Design your site to make it easier for your customer to complete their most common tasks: from task conception, to visiting your site, to task completion.
4) Offer a Unified Experience
UX is KING. Your website should be mobile optimized which also means it should be responsive and offer a consistent, unified experience. Make it easy to use!
5) Remember — Search, Social, and Mobile Are Integrated
We no longer live in a world where these three channels can be treated as independent of each other. An integrated marketing approach needs to treat each of these as one aspect of the whole.
This all means that you have to coordinate content across all of these channels and have it optimized to be consumed by users’ device of choice.
Photo by: Davide D’Amico