9 Surefire Ways To Destroy Employee Morale
March 20, 2012
I have been in the software industry for 33 years, starting as a sales rep and ending my career as an Executive Vice President and an operational executive with over 2,000 employees and a revenue budget of more than $1 billion. Over the years I have witnessed numerous ways in which companies, founders, CEOs and managers have hurt employee morale, which in turn hurt company performance and in some cases doomed them to failure.
When I read this article it brought a painful smile to my face as I thought about my personal experience in this area, so I thought I would share it with you. The article originally was in American Express’s OpenForum, but I found it in Business Insider.
Here are the 9 surefire ways to mess up your company’s morale:
- Not accepting responsibility for mistakes
- Calling employees out in public
- Setting impossible goals
- Threatening their jobs
- Giving vague or incomplete instructions
- Never offering any praise
- Holding workers back if they are doing well
I would add 2 more to the list that always drove me crazy;
- Telling your employees “NO” without an explanation
- Not making a decision when one needs to be made, as procrastination is never good for morale
Again, you can catch the complete article here.
All the best!